Promoting Good Governance and Deepening Democracy
This programme aims to strengthen the ability of government, particularly at local level, in addressing the challenges of service delivery and promoting public participation in decision-making. It works on two levels:
1. Capacity building to enable more effective communication between government and civil society, and;
2. Research and advocacy work to guide and refine pro-poor enabling policy and its implementation.
Some of the training we offer:
- Introduction to housing for local and provincial government officials
- Housing consumer education
- Community leadership development skills programme
- Understanding local government and development legislation for CBOs
- Access to free basic services
Some other governance initiatives:
- Research and advocacy on the right to free basic services, and local government performance in service delivery.
- Action research on, and facilitation of, public participation processes.
- Documentation and dissemination of linkages between HIV and AIDS, housing, access to basic services, and citizen well-being.